Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Order your own dang quesadilla

The office of Garcia’s Auto Repair is a pretty happinin’ place at 10 AM. I probably should have come in earlier to avoid delays but at 7AM this morning I was in a freshman health class in a local high school talking to 30 fourteen-year-olds about who’s having the best sex in America.

And no, it isn’t Hugh Hefner or Brittany Spears, or even college students like so many of the kids imagine. According to researchers, it is married couples who are having the most frequent and most satisfying sex. So we talk about love and intimacy and bonding how these young people can prepare to be great lovers and men and women of character by pursuing healthy relationships now, that will allow them and others to walk into their future marriage relationships better, rather than broken, people. In short, I encourage them to pursue relational intimacy while saving sex for marriage.

So, in case you haven’t noticed, I have a new job teaching an abstinence education curriculum through a local non-profit. And YES! I miss my 2nd and 3rd graders at the charter school like crazy. Last week I received a letter in the mail from a 2nd grade student who wanted to make sure I knew she had lost a tooth and got $2 from the tooth fairy for it.
What on earth happened to quarters? To silver dollars?


I counseled her to consider putting her tooth loot into a Roth IRA.


Senora Garcia tells me it’s gonna cost $350 to fix the passenger window that’s been stuck down, three inches from the top for the past 5 months.

It all started on a dark Friday afternoon in September when the rain began suddenly, unpredictably. And it rained for hours. With umbrella in hand and donning a Heafty-Cinch-Sak I managed a makeshift cover of sandwich baggies and packaging tape. This classy get up has, with only occasional repairs, almost managed to get me through the winter. But the other day I smelled something. You know, something. And that’s where I drew the line. So Senora Garcia is going to drive me back to work and promised not to charge me labor for the extra favor of attaching my front license plate to my car, since they are attaching it with a plastic Garcia Auto Service holder which I’m already paying them $10 to own. Anyway, it’ll be nice to be able to cruise restaurant drive-throughs backwards again so that my passengers can order their own dang quesadillas.

2 comments:

The Schmit Family said...

It is so good to have a car with character..... it makes life just seem like a more decent place to be and reminds us that even the simplest things like a broken window can be the biggest nuisances. moving back to memphis... it is official. we are leaving april 12th for iowa and heading to memphis first week of may. guess who is getting excited to be in a place where everyone understands her when she speaks... not me silly. elly marta.

love you by the way and really appreciated the REAL card from you. and you are so right, you can write anything you darn well please on there.

The Schmit Family said...

most obviously toooooo busy now to do something like write a post or something of course!!!!! love you tremendous amounts.