So, you may be asking, what on earth could have caused Kimberly to fall off the face of the planet since last January? What on earth could have been consuming so much of her free time she couldn't manage to upload one stinkin' photo?
Well, my friends, the answer is: love happened to me.
Romance happened
Terry Peterson happened.
I've also spent a good deal of time at Garcia's auto, what with a blown head-gasket on my car and a passenger window getting smashed in for no good reason by Isla Vista drunks on a Thursday night. But SEE how the Lord is good! My car being out led to Terry and I carpooling to work for a month and me getting to follow him around Home Depot before work in the morning. Only we could find a hardware store so romantic ;) and then after a month, Jesus paid for the entire bill Himself. $1200. I paid $10 for one part and He divinely orchestrated the rest of the payment through His generous body, not even through my church, in which everyone is as poor as I, but through a church I've never even visited before. Amazing!
I have also been teaching a lot as the school year in SB comes to a close. Since January I've taught nearly 1500 junior high and high school students about the benefits of saving the unique gift of their sexual intimacy for the unique commitment of marriage and it has been unbelievably eye-opening, challenging and rewarding. How our kids long for hope, need someone to tell them they're worth waiting for, that they have a choice, that they can do better than what their culture expects, that they can have real, vulnerable, intimate relationships, that they can put away masks and control and insecurity and love fearlessly, sacrificially, faithfully.
They can. We can. I can.
The only way I really know how though, is because Jesus is teaching me. because He loves that way. I don't get to tell them that part. But if they're really looking, they'll figure it out sooner or later. Those who seek, find; Jesus said so himself. And He never lies. He's never lied to me. He's never even misled me. He has only lead me into peace and truth and joy.
His deep, abiding joy . . . it's a priceless gift I could never afford, I don't deserve, and I love Him so much for choosing me to share this with Him.
And speaking of love :) Terry Patrick Peterson asked me to be his bride on Saturday, June 7. Delicious highlights from our day follow:
At the end of breakfast Terry brought out a gift for me to unwrap. I could tell immediately it was a bible and faintly wondered if he didn't prefer mine and if we were about to have a discussion about the accuracy and utility of varying translations (just kidding) but instead I found something much more surprising: an engraving . . .
Once he got the ring on my hand, Terry was ready to
worship so it was a good thing he'd planned for our friend
Tommy to hide in a nearby cave to pop out about this time.
We danced and sang and hugged and Terry kept shouting
Hallelujah! and running figure-8's in the sand. Guess he was excited :)

worship so it was a good thing he'd planned for our friend
Tommy to hide in a nearby cave to pop out about this time.
We danced and sang and hugged and Terry kept shouting
Hallelujah! and running figure-8's in the sand. Guess he was excited :)
With all the excitement and exertion we snuck up north to our favorite beach for a nap in the late afternoon sun and around 5:30 headed back to Isla Vista to a friend's house where Terry had my roommates prepare a quiet place to shower and dress for an extravagant dinner. They brought all the clothes, toiletries, jewelry and smelly perfumes they could imagine I might need.
Beginning to end, it was a fabulous day, full of love, joy and the peace of God. God has done such great things for us, if I began to enumerate them here, you would never hear the end of it. Terry and I are so thankful for the grace of God, poured out on us as love for one another and so excited for our two lives to merge into one. Join us as we journey ahead in God's love.
Terry and Kimberly
3 comments:
Hallelujah! That's an appropriate response :) -> and the bible engraving was a really cool idea. May each of you, and your relationship together, stay grounded on HIS word.
(but though I'm rejoicing with you, I'm afraid Kimberly won't visit Memphis nearly enough to suit us...)
Your brother in Christ,
_ Daniel W.
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!! That is WONDERFUL news! I heard of it yesterday as a result of the text sent to Taylor:)
praise the Lord!!!!!
we rejoice with you in this wonderful event.
we are so excited for you.
we are looking forward to seeing you soon!! (better be soon!)
You know Kimberly, marriage is much better than I thought!
Post a Comment